Doddington Hall, Fenland (also known as The Rectory)6170

Cambridgeshire, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of Doddington Hall include an enclosed kitchen garden, grass terraces, a fountain and a maze.

History

The present Doddington Hall was created in 1872 as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The Ordnance Survey map of 1886 indicates an entrance from the west through mature trees, with an enclosed kitchen garden with fruit trees to the north, and in the south-east corner a sunken lawn with raised grass terraces on two sides. Recent sale particulars mention an attractive fountain in the front entrance and a small maze along a path which leads through shrubberies, alongside pools and under mature trees.
Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Fountain
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Doddington
History

Detailed History

Doddington Hall, formerly The Rectory, is an admirable example of a large Victorian villa which was built in 1872 by W. Smith, and stands in nearly one hectare of attractive gardens. The Rectory replaced a 15th-century building and in 1852 the east side of the house was stated to have ‘one of the most delightful gardens in the kingdom'.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust