Davenport House 1054

Bridgnorth, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Davenport House is set in a mid-18th-century landscape park. The site is used for weddings and corporate events. Features include a ha-ha, walled kitchen garden, battlemented dovecote and three rococo figures.

History

Davenport House was built in 1726, and the development of the adjoining park and grounds was probably undertaken by Sharington Davenport, starting in 1731. Many features in the garden date from the mid-18th century, when most of the improvements were being carried out.

Visitor Facilities

This site is now a venue for weddings and corporate hospitality.

Terrain

Level promontory

Detailed Description

Davenport House was designed and built in 1726 by Francis Smith of Warwick for Henry Davenport. There are four pavilions attached by curving walls from the four corners of the house. There is a garden to the south, with a circular pool set in a circular lawn, as well as a sundial. A ha-ha lies beyond this formal garden. There is also a mid-18th-century walled kitchen garden to the west, and a circular battlemented dovecote of the same date lies in open ground 300 metres north-east of the house.The mainly level parkland at Davenport lies all round the house, which stands on a slight eminence. The house lies on part of a ridge running from north to south through the middle of the estate, which falls gently towards the curving course of the River Worfe and a tributary, which run form much of the eastern, southern and western boundaries of the estate. There are areas of woodland to the south and west, and belts or screens of trees on the north-west and north-east boundaries. There are a number of fine mature trees throughout the parkland.

The development of the garden and landscape development at Davenport House probably dates from the succession of Sharington Davenport in 1731. Davenport was a friend of William Shenstone, of the the Leasowes, Halesowen, and each visited the other's estate in 1753-54 and later. Shenstone's letters in 1753-4 indicate that he had advised on garden matters at Davenport House. Paintings by Thomas Robins of around 1750 show a framework of formal avenues running north-south on each side of the house, with two more distant avenues leading away to the north-west (aligned on Worfield church) and north-north-west. The north-

south avenue

to the east of the house survives in modified form, as does the avenue towards Worfield church. The formal pool south of the house, along with the ha-ha, also appear in his paintings.

On the sloping ground above the Worfe, three rococo features appear: to the east, a ruined temple, in the centre a grotto with a steep cascade, and to the west a small gothick building rather like the GothicTemple at Painshill, Surrey. The last feature is commemorated in the name Rotunda Coppice, 400 metres south-west of the house. Both temples were destroyed in the 1940s and the grotto is now ruinous. The grotto may never have had the cascade shown in Robins's painting.

In 1851 it was said 'several of the eminences in the park are ornamented with sculpted figures,'

possibly an oblique reference to the three rococo features. In 1858 Davenport House's parterre, flower gardens and, to the west, further large gardens and conservatories, were commented upon in travel guides.

The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):

www.historicengland.org.uk/lis...

DESCRIPTION

LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING

Davenport lies c 4km north-east of Bridgnorth, immediately south and west of the village of Worfield and its subsidiary hamlet of Hallon. The house and much of the park lie on a level, 400m wide promontory on the north side of the valley of the River Worfe, across which there are spectacular views. The park is bounded to the north-east by the unclassified road from Wyken to Hallon. The area here registered extends to c 55ha.

ENTRANCES AND APPROACHES

One approach is from a gate at the north-east corner of the park, via a drive along the grassed and treed east side of the subsidiary valley which leads south from Springhead Coppice to the Worfe. A second drive begins at a gate at the east corner of the park, at the south end of Worfield village. From here it runs south-west, along the edge of the flood plain, before turning to climb towards the House from the south. This section of the drive is tree lined, and follows the line of the main C18 avenue through the park.

Both approaches were created after 1839, in the mid to late C19. Before that the main approach was from Hallon, on the north edge of the park, via the main north/south avenue.

PRINCIPAL BUILDING

Davenport House (listed grade I) was built to a design of Francis Smith (d 1738) of Warwick; it was completed c 1727, the rainwater heads being dated 1726. Of brick with stone dressings, the House has a nine-bay facade of two-and-a-half storeys and a hipped roof. Four service pavilions are linked to the main house by short curved walls. As built, the two to the north were stables, that to the south-west the laundry and the last the kitchen and servants' rooms.

The earlier house is said to have stood a little to the north of the present one.

GARDENS AND PLEASURE GROUNDS

To the north of the House is its entrance forecourt, grassed and with a gravel sweep. Rails form the north boundary, allowing a view over the park. To the south of the House is a grass court 70m wide and 85m long from north to south, defined to the south by a 2m high ha-ha with a demi-lune centre. Within the centre of this court is a circular basin, c 25m in diameter. From the court there is a spectacular view south, over the valley of the Worfe. Court and basin are both shown on Robins' paintings of 1753 and were presumably constructed about the time the House was built, c 1727, although they do not appear on the estate map of that date.

The 1727 estate map shows a complex parterre garden c 300m north of the newly completed House. Possibly this related to the old house, situated hereabouts. The garden had disappeared by the time Robins painted Davenport in 1753.

PARK

The parkland north of the House is level, and mainly in arable cultivation apart from the village cricket ground on the north-east edge of the park and along its western edge where it drops steeply away and is grass. Parkland trees, including Wellingtonia, stand around its edge. About 75m south-east of the gateway at the north-west corner of the park is an icehouse, of C18 or C19 date. Opposite the gateway, across the public road along the edge of the park (parts of a sandstone boundary wall remain, in poor condition), is a grassy valley, running uphill, with a pool known as The Mere. This is the site of the Long Water painted by Robins in 1753 (see below). Pool Cottage (listed grade II), on its west side, is the timber-framed cottage he depicts; the gothick facade to the gable is no longer extant.

Leading north-east from the north forecourt's north-east gateway is a short avenue of limes. The main avenue ran north/south down the centre of the park to the east of this. Its line is followed by the present tree-lined approach from the south, while some veteran limes remain on its line c 200m north of Chempshill Coppice. From the east side of the House there is a view across the parkland, level pasture well planted both with mature parkland trees, predominantly oak, and with probably early to mid C19 coniferous specimen trees. Visible c 350m east-north-east of the House, close to the edge of the park's high ground, is a large, circular, battlemented, tower-like brick pigeon house (listed grade II), probably C18. This is presumably the Gothic Pigeon House mentioned in 1759 (see below).

Running north from the north-west corner of the walled kitchen garden for c 150m is a cluster of veteran sweet chestnut trees. Some appear to respect a common north/south alignment, and may relate to an avenue shown by Robins in 1753 and by Calvert in 1831. South-west of the House, on a bluff overlooking the valley of the Worfe, is Rotunda Coppice. OS maps of the late C19 and early C20 mark several seats in and around this area of mixed woodland while on the edge of bluff is a platform, possibly for a building.

One of the main groups of features, probably intervisible, occupied the series of bluffs above the River Worfe c 250m south of the House, running between Rotunda Coppice to the north-west and Chempshill Coppice to the south-east. From them there was a panoramic view over the broad, flat, valley bottom and the winding course of the river to the countryside beyond. Still extant, although semi-ruinous, is the grotto painted by Robins. It comprises a brick shell, c 2.5m in diameter and about the same deep, its interior slag encrusted. To either side of its front corners are 1m high boulders, while behind are two mature yew trees. No trace can be seen of the cascade from it down the valley side shown on the painting. On the next bluff to the north-west, c 100m away, is a splayed ashlar statue plinth. Two of the other buildings painted in the vicinity of the grotto by Robins were apparently demolished in the 1940s.

The estate map of c 1727 shows two avenues. One was aligned on the north front of the House, and ran roughly north, up the east side of the parterre garden. Another, c 100m to its east, ran south from Hallon on a straight line to the north-west corner of Chempshill Coppice. Under the fashionable Sharington Davenport the parkland was enhanced, possibly in two phases. In 1732 he bought 'of Rysbrack [John Michael Rysbrack, d 1770, sculptor] a Watergod' (CL 1952, 1999). The main phase of improvement however apparently began in the summer of 1753 when he was said to be 'laying out his environs' (Harris 1978, 22). Also in 1753 Thomas Robins the Elder (d c 1770) was producing four paintings of the park. By 1759 (list in Knight's Pocketbook, 10) the attractions included an Ionic Rotunda [?in Rotunda Coppice]; another, thatched, rotunda 'with six trees'; a witches' temple; a Shepherd's Seat and urn; a root house; an urn to Milton; a Doric seat with two pillars; a Gothic Seat '& view of abbey in Ruins, Water and Cascade'; Flora's Seat; Shenstone's Seat; the Gothic Pigeon House; the grotto, supplied with water from the Worfe by 'an engine' (Tithe map of 1839 names the meadow below the grotto as 'Engine Meadow' and marks and names the Engine House on the river bank); and a statue of Venus, apparently concealed in a recess within the grotto. Immediately north of the present north-west gate to the park was the canal-like Long Water. One of Robins' 1753 views looks south down this, showing a timber-framed cottage with a battlemented, gothick, gable facade to its west and a gothick temple looking northward along it from just within the park. The latter, marked as 'Summer house' on the Tithe map but apparently demolished by the end of the century, occupied the knoll above the gate, just above the extant icehouse. These, collectively, may be the 'Gothic Seat & view of abbey in Ruins, Water and Cascade' mentioned in the Knight Pocketbook. One of the paintings also shows how either side of the avenue aligned on the north front of the House there had been planting, with an avenue aligned on Worfield church and paired plantations in the north part of the park. A pedimented statue faced the House in front of each plantation. Those statues were probably moved south of the House in the C19, with the site of one being represented by the statue base described above.

In the late C19 William Shenstone (d 1763) of the Leasowes (qv), who was a friend of Sharington Davenport, was said to have been responsible for the creation of the park, dedicating inscriptions in the woods there to Gratiana, Mrs Davenport. However, Shenstone's own letter of 15 July 1753 which mentions Sharington Davenport's work 'laying out his environs' makes no claim for his own involvement.

In 1851 (Bagshaw) it was said that 'several of the eminences in the park are ornamented with sculptured figures.'

KITCHEN GARDEN

Davenport's walled kitchen garden lies immediately west of the western pavilions and is c 90m square. The brick walls, which include high quality, tightly jointed work, survive to full height (c 2.5m), and there is a broad entrance in the centre of the west side. Along the south side is a slip. The interior of the garden is grassed and used as a horse paddock. Shown on one of Robins' paintings of 1753, with the interior divided into rectangular beds edged with low, clipped bushes, the garden is presumably broadly contemporary with the house of 1727.

REFERENCES

C Calvert, Picturesque Views ... in Salop (1831), opposite p 124 [View of Davenport]

S Bagshaw, Directory of Shropshire (1851), p 492

S B James, Worfield on the Worfe (1878), figure opposite p 41

M Williams (editor), The Letters of William Shenstone (1939)

Country Life, 111 (27 June 1952), pp 1996-9; 112 (4 July 1952), pp 40-3; (11 July 1952), pp 114-17

C Hussey, English Country Houses: Early Georgian, 1715-1760 (1955), pp 104-8

J Harris, Gardens of Delight (1978), pp 22-7

D Watkin, The English Vision (1982), pp 32-3

G Williams, English Country Houses: Shropshire (in preparation)

Maps

An Exact Survey of Haune [Hallon], no date (around 1727) [reproduced in Country Life]

Tithe map for Worfield, 1839 (Shropshire Records and Research Centre)

OS 6" to 1 mile: 1st edition surveyed 1882, published 1891

OS 25" to 1 mile: 1st edition surveyed 1882, published 1883

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Davenport House is of red brick, nine bays wide, and two storeys tall, with an attic. On the entrance side there is a later 18th-century porch with Ionic columns. There is a great entrance hall, with wood-panelled walls, painted and rusticated to imitate exterior walls. The inteiror rooms are fine, with more imitation rustication and a particularly great fireplace in the White Drawing Room, featuring two bearded caryatids.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: A walled kitchen garden lay to the west of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Description: There is a large brick dovecote with a lantern to the north-east of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: There were a number of avenues in the grounds at Davenport House, two running north-south on either side of the house, and others more distant leading away to the north-west and north-north-west.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Description: A formal circular pool lay set in a lawn just south of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Description: A ha-ha lay to the south of the house, beyond the formal garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Temple
  • Description: There was a ruined temple to the east in the parkland in paintings of around 1750. It was destroyed in the 1940s.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Temple
  • Description: There is a small gothick building to the west in the parkland in paintings of around 1750. It resembles the Gothic Temple at Painshill, Surrey. It was destroyed in the 1940s.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Grotto
  • Description: There is a grotto with a steep cascade in the parkland in paitings of around 1750. The grotto is now ruinous, and it may never have had the cascade depicted in the painting.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This site is now a venue for weddings and corporate hospitality.

Directions

http://davenporthouse.co.uk/wh...

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Worfield
History

Detailed History

The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):

www.historicengland.org.uk/lis...

HISTORIC DEVELOPMENT

In the later Middle Ages Hallon, or Haune, was the seat of the Bakers, passing by marriage to Sir George Bromley (died 1588), Chief Justice of Chester. His granddaughter, Jane Bromley, married William Davenport of Chorley in Cheshire in 1602, and it was their great-grandson, Henry, who is said to have made his fortune in India, who commissioned the present house and called it Davenport. Henry died in 1731 and was succeeded by his son Sharington (sheriff 1735, died 1774), a fashionable and cultured figure. During his time, with much work being carried out in the early 1750s, a series of structures was constructed in the park, notably overlooking the River Worfe. Thomas Robins the Elder painted the improved landscape, and may even have had a hand in its conception. Sharington was succeeded by William Yelverton Davenport (died 1832), and he by his nephew the Rev Edmund Sharington Davenport. Son followed father for two further generations, during which time, the later 19th and early 20th century, the house was usually let. The estate remained in private ownership in the late 20th century.

Associated People
Contact
References

References