Stanley Hall 6639

Astley Abbots, Shropshire, England

Brief Description

Stanley Hall is set above the west bank of the Severn in Astley Abbots. The hall was surrounded by parkland, which extended for over a half mile south and north-west of the hall. Carriage drives ran through the park, and there was a lodge at its southern end by 1882.

History

Stanley Hall and its grounds are of the early 17th century (possibly 1642) and later. By the early 19th century the parkland had been extended to over a half-mile from the house.

Features
  • Drive
  • Description: Carriage drives ran through the park toward Stanley Hall.
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: There was an entrance lodge at the southern end of the park.
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: Stanley Hall is a Jacobean house of red sandstone and brick. It features plain gables, mullioned and transomed windows, and an entrance porch. There is a stable wing of the 18th century to the right of the entrance. A large addition of 1816 was pulled down in the mid-20th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Astley Abbotts
References

References