Apley Park, Stockton 4441

Stockton, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Apley Park consists of a landscaped park with woodland. The house has been converted into residential flats.

History

The basic layout of Apley Park is present on Robert Baugh's map of Shropshire dating to 1808(Trinder: 1983).

The hall was built in about 1812 but was converted into flats in about 2001-2004.

Features
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: The South lodge was created in about 1812.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: Stockton lodge was created in about 1812.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: The balustraded terrace is located south of the house. It provides extensive views over the park and the wooded slopes of the river Severn. The terrace is present on Robert Baugh's map of Shropshire dating to 1808 (Trinder: 1983).
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Description: The pool is located south of the terrace. It was created in about 1867.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fountain
  • Description: The fountain is located in the pool. It was created in about 1867.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Stockton
History

Detailed History

Robert Baugh's map of Shropshire dating to 1808 shows the basic layout of Apley Park (Trinder: 1983). By the late-19th century the park was about 420 acres (168 hectares) and had 150 fallow deer (Whitaker: 1982, 125).

The house dates back to about 1812 but may have replaced an earlier building. The kitchen gardens lay to the north east of the house. In 1795 hot houses and peach houses had been created. By 1851 the greenhouses and vineries were extensive. Pleasure grounds were also established by 1851 (Leach: 1891, 110).

W. O. Foster, an ironmaster, purchashed the estate in 1867. Foster put much investment into the estate. Additions during this time included a rockery and rhododendrons west of the house.

The house became a boarding school for boys between 1962 and 1987. The building became much dilapidated during the late-20th century. In 2001 to 2004 the building was converted into residential flats.

References

References