Chyknell 5090

Claverley, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Chyknell features a Regency house, surrounded by an extensive park and modern gardens.

History

The house at Chyknell was rebuilt in 1812, and it had a park by 1827. By the 1880s, the park and grounds had been much enlarged. The gardens were redesigned in 1950 by Russell Page.

Detailed Description

The current gardens at Chyknell were redesigned in 1951. The front of Chyknell house looks out over a flat lawn with a wide entrance path and seven large yew trees. To the left of the main entrance, there is a semi-enclosed oblong area of shaved yews, approached by steps. There is also a square formal pond.

The rear of the house features a formal lawn bordered by a pleached hedge of lime trees, also backed by clipped yews. There is a parallel border of hedges ending in a wrought-iron gate to the left. It was once filled with roses, carefully specified by Page as to size and colour, but the soil proved hostile to the rose planting. The border is now filled by herbaceous perennials. There is also a courtyard of paving stones interplanted with alpine and creeping plants, and a magnolia, ceanothus, wisteria, and Rosa banksiae 'Lutea' on the overlooking wall.

The western side of the house contrasts with the garden, offering a woodland walk with gravel, bluebells, and other flowers in the grass borders. Here the focus is natural, contrasting with the formality close to the house.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: A simple and elegant Regency house with a colonnaded entrance.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hunting Lodge
  • Description: A hunting lodge was located at the east end of the drive across the park.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Claverley
References

References