The main buildings are ranged around the Front Quad, accessed via central entrance gates past the Front Lodge. The Front Quad is laid out as two lawns either side of a central path, in each an octagonal Observatory with domed lead roof and a number of mature trees.
University College London (UCL) is the third oldest university in England after Oxford and Cambridge. It was founded in 1826 as the University of London to provide university education without religious bias. The benefactors of the new university purchased the site, once part of the Mortimer estate, and William Wilkins' design was selected following public competition. The neo-Grecian central block was designed by Wilkins, the south and north wings added in 1869-76 and 1871-81 respectively.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is accessible to visitors to UCL and students; has opened for OGSW and London Open House.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is accessible to visitors to UCL and students; has opened for OGSW and London Open House.
DirectionsTube: Euston Square (Metropolitan, Circle, Hammersmith & City), Goodge Street (Northern). Bus: 10, 18, 24, 30, 73, 134, 253
London Parks and Gardens Trust