A bus lane divides the square in half. Other features include lawns, benches and a pair of stone lodges from the original station in Euston.
Euston Square was laid out in the early C19th on the site of the Bedford Nursery Ground. It formed two rectangular strips either side of New Road, built as a cattle route to Smithfield Market and later renamed Euston Road. The southern side of Euston Square became Endsleigh Gardens in 1880 and only the northern part survives as a garden, enclosed by railings, with grass and mature London plane trees. Euston Station opened in 1837 and was enlarged over the next decades. The two lodges, inscribed with names of stations served by the London and North Western Railway, date from c.1870 and were once at the station entrance. They are now the only survivors of the formal 1870 layout, which was replaced by the new station in 1968.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Description: Statue of Robert Stephenson in station forecourt.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/London Overground/Tube (Northern/Victoria): Euston. Tube: Euston Square (Northern, Victoria). Bus: 10, 18, 30, 68, 73, 91, 168, 205, 253.
London Parks and Gardens Trust