Described as 'one of the grand almshouses of north-east London', the building has a number of plaques recording that electric light was brought to the almshouses in 1924 and that gas was installed in 1939. The almshouses remain in residential use and are now Council housing.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail/Tube (Victoria): Walthamstow Central. London Overground: Leyton Midland Road. Bus: 20, 48, 55, 56, 69, 97, 230, 257, W15, W16.
The London Master Bakers' Pension and Almshouse Society was founded in 1832. The foundation stone for the new almshouses in Leyton was laid on 5 August 1857. At that time the surrounding area was a small village with a few smart villas belonging to London merchants. The almshouses were designed for the London Master Bakers Benevolent Institution by T E Knightleys, a large 3-sided building around a landscaped courtyard.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust