Hackney Marshes are predominantly used for playing fields.
Hackney Marshes were formerly Lammas land, which in the C12th was divided into marshy meadows. By the mid C18th these amounted to nearly 300 small strips, with the remainder of the land owned by the Lord of Hackney Manor. There is a long history of sports and recreational use of Hackney Marshes. The land was acquired by the LCC under the Open Spaces Act 1893 and was formally dedicated as public open space in 1894.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted in most areas (no access to Arena Field). Hackney Marshes Centre daily 8am-6pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted in most areas (no access to Arena Field). Hackney Marshes Centre daily 8am-6pm.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Hackney Wick, Homerton. Bus: 55, 56, 48, W15
London Parks and Gardens Trust