Holywell House 5091

Swanmore, Southampton, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The house is a grade II listed building, having undergone many alterations from the original modest farm. Features include a ha-ha, terrace, woodland, old walled garden and restored summerhouse. Modern additions include a small replanted formal garden and lake.

History

Holywell House was originally Holywell Farm on the estate of Swanmore Manor. It was bought by Admiral Lord Anson in 1745, who extended the existing two cottages and joined them. Further re-modelling has since taken place.

Detailed Description

The house is reached via a long tree-lined lane. The unplanted south front looks across a ha-ha to a vista carved through the once surrounding Forest of Bere. The gardens of terrace and borders are at the side of the house. There is also an extensive woodland garden and a wide pergola draped with vines and roses (Batsford 1978).

The woodland surrounding the house today is of outstanding beauty and is mainly broadleaved mature trees and plantation of small leafed limes. A small formal garden was replanted in 1995 and the summerhouse restored. A lake was also created in 1995. The old walled garden, which is as old as the house, is some distance from it. By the mid-1990s it was in need of restoration.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: Walled garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Description: The unplanted south front looks across a ha-ha to a vista carved through the once surrounding Forest of Bere.
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: The summerhouse was restored in 1995.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was originally two cottages, which were joined, extended and re-modelled over successive centuries.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Plantation
  • Description: Plantation of small leafed limes.
  • Pergola
  • Description: There is a wide pergola draped with vines and roses.
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: The gardens of terrace and borders are at the side of the house.
  • Border
  • Description: The gardens of terrace and borders are at the side of the house.
  • Lake
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Swanmore
History

Detailed History

Holywell House was originally Holywell Farm on the estate of Swanmore Manor. It was bought by Admiral Lord Anson in 1745, who extended the existing two cottages and joined them. Humphrey Minchin bought the house in 1765 and extended it, re-using old materials.

In 1775 and 1790 further re-modelling took place, introducing the large, distinctive semi-circular bows to the south and east. The walled garden and barn date from this time. Maurice Portal bought the house in 1917 and a Georgian-style door was added to the front. In 1960, it was bought by Lord Rhyl, and then by descent it came to the Earl of Clarendon. In 1994, reconstruction of an 18th-century service wing and an old farmhouse took place.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here