Palace House, Bishops Waltham 5797

Southampton, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

Palace House and its garden occupy the south-west corner of the site of Bishop's Waltham Palace. It is now a private house with a recently-redesigned rose garden.

Detailed Description

Palace House is now privately owned and the rose garden was re-designed in the 1990s by Michael Baron, and a 14th century man-made water course was restored in 2006 with advice from Kim Wilkie.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The main facade of the house is from 1690. There is an earlier wing (dating from the 16th century). The northern half of the house was added in about 1830.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: From the 19th-century landscaping only a few specimen trees remain.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rose Garden
  • Description: The rose garden was re-designed in the 1990s by Michael Baron.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Water Course
  • Description: A 14th-century man-made water course was restored in 2006 with advice from Kim Wilkie.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bishops Waltham
History

Detailed History

When Palace House was sold in 1857, it had a number of outbuildings and lawn, shrubberies, kitchen garden, orchard, carriage drive and young fruit trees. Along with a meadow and part of the ruins it covered 3.25 hectares (8 acres), In 1869, the site passed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners who sold it, then in 1889 it was placed in the guardianship of the Office of Works. From the 19th century landscaping only a few specimen trees remain.
Contact
References

Contributors

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust