Copthorne House 5231

Copthorne, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Copthorne House had extensive grounds laid to the north and west of the house by 1824. They included an irregular ornamental lake and islands with two rustic bridges, a boathouse, and a cottage. In 1869, the pleasure grounds around the house featured shrubberies and fine timber. Walled kitchen gardens had four forcing houses and vinery pits. The park also included mature fir trees.

History

Copthorne House, home to the land agent John Probert and later the Brocas family, already had extensive grounds by 1824. In 1869, the house was sold by the representatives of Thomas Brocas. The grounds now lie under the site of the modern Royal Shrewsbury Hospital.

Features
  • Ornamental Lake
  • Description: There was a complex and irregular ornamental lake at Copthorne House in 1824.
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: There were two rustic bridges linking the islands in the ornamental lake.
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: There were walled kitchen gardens with four forcing houses and vinery pits.
  • Latest Date:
References