Leaton Knolls Hall 5581

Leaton, Shropshire, England

Brief Description

Leaton Knolls Hall, located on the east bank of the Severn, featured highly regarded grounds and gardens. The house once stood on the hill overlooking a romantic glen planted with thriving shrubberies and pleasant walks. Bagshaw wrote that 'in no place in the county is there to be seen such a fine collection of rare shrubs and choice forest trees' including 'an extensive and valuable collection of the conifera tribe, with their curious and varied foliage.' In 1851 a walled kitchen garden was being created.

History

Leaton Knolls Hall was first built around 1820, and was occupied in the mid-19th century by its owner, J.A. Lloyd. At that time the beautiful designed grounds were noted, and a walled kitchen garden was being constructed.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Leaton Knolls Hall was a mansion dated to around 1820, with Classical features. It was demolished in 1955.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: There was a walled kitchen garden being constructed in 1851.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Shrubbery
  • Description: There were diverse and beautiful shrubberies planted throughout the glen below the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Pimhill
References

References