Referred to as a pocket park, Abbey Gardens can be found adjacent to the River Severn by the English Bridge.
Abbey Gardens is a pocket park and comprises of mown grass, trees, shrubs and benches. The gardens are full of rubble as the land was once a stone yard of belonging to a local family of builders, sculptors, and architects, the Carlines.
Tucked away between Shrewsbury Sixth Form College (formerly The Wakeman School) and the river, it’s easy to miss this tranquil park with mature trees and shrubs, benches and paths.
A rockery assembled probably in the late C19 from early C19 or earlier fragments. Stone. The rockery is built against a slope and comprises of fragments of sculpture in the antique style, including a figure of Justice as a centrepiece flanked by fasces, ears of wheat, cornucopia and the Salop arms. The upper level of the rockery incorporates a massive sculpted head and a medallion.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
The current garden was laid out in 1902 by the Derbyshire landscape architect John Barron who incorporated much of the stonework in his design. For example, some of this stonework now forms a rockery which is Grade II listed.
- Features & Designations
- Key Information
Open to the public