The Isle (also known as The Isle, Rossall)6166

Bicton, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

According to Pevsner, the Isle is 'an undistinguished-looking large red brick block' of a house, which 'looks late 17th-century' (N. Pevsner, Shropshire (1958), 157).By the 19th century there was an avenue of oaks, and other trees including pine, chestnut, lime, and cedar. There was also a pool with two boathouses.

History

The house 'looks late-17th-century'. In 1830 an avenue of oaks almost a mile long was planted from the upper lodge to the house. Trees in the grounds included, in 1891, pine, chestnut, lime, and cedar. The principal feature of the grounds was Isle Pool, and in the 1880s two boathouses stood on its banks.

Detailed Description

To the south-east of Isle Farm there is a medieval moated site, featuring a prospect mound and fishponds. The rectangular moated island measures around 60m by 70m, and is bordered is to the west by the River Severn, and on al other sides by a (now dry) moat. The site appears on an early 18th-century estate map, and may be a prospect mound upon which a summerhouse was built. The site is also thought to be the manorial centre of Rossall, known to have been held by the Rossall family between the 13th and 15th centuries. Further detail available at:

http://homepage.mac.com/philip...

Pevsner says that the Isle, near Shrewsbury, is 'an undistinguished-looking large red brick block' of a house. Close by [perhaps at Isle Farm] is an older black-and-white house with walled garden and, in one of the corners, a tall brick Summer House with quoins and a pyramid roof.

Features
  • Boat House
  • Description: Two boathouses were present by 1890.
  • Avenue
  • Description: Oak avenue
Pool, Garden Wall
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bicton
References

References