Onslow Hall 6405

Onslow, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Onslow Hall featured an extensive park and formal gardens. The hall was demolished in 1957, and the grounds are now lost.

History

The grounds of Onslow Hall, lying south-east of Bicton, were embellished sometime between the second half of the 18th century and the first decade of the 19th century. The grounds were developed throughout the 19th century. The hall was demolished around 1957.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Onslow Hall was a Greek revival mansion of Grinshill stone, built by Edward Haycock. The house was seven bays wide, featuring a giant Greek Doric portico and pediment. To the left there was an added block with giant pilasters and a lantern. The house was demolished around 1957.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: There were two Greek Doric entrance lodges at the north-west and north-east corners of the estate. From them, avenues led to the hall off of the Shrewsbury-Welshpool road.
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: Two avenues, beginning at the north-east and north-west corners of the estate, led from the Shrewsbury-Welshpool road to the hall. Each featured an entrance lodge.
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Lake
  • Description: A small lake lay to the west of the hall.
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: A third avenue, running north-south from the Shrewsbury-Welshpool road to the hall, ran through the park. It was probably once tree-lined.
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Description: A long pool was sited to the east of the hall.
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bicton
History

Detailed History

Onslow Hall was rebuilt by Edward Haycock in the Greek Revival style in 1820, but its park and grounds were present on a map of 1808, and likely had earlier origins. In 1826-7, the northern extent of Onslow Park was defined by the Shrewsbury to Welshpool road. Along this road, in the north-west and north-east corners of the estate, there were two Greek Doric entrance with lodges, also built by Haycock. These lodges opened onto trackways or avenues leading to the hall. A large pool, or small lake, lay to the west of the Hall.

By 1833 the area of parkland had been increased, and a further avenue, was established running approximately north-south from the Shrewsbury to Welshpool road to the Hall. This avenue may have originally been lined by trees.

By 1880-81, further areas had been added to the park: in the north-west, the north-east, and possibly in the south-east. To the east, the park expansion now encompassed the long pool which lay east of the Hall. In the late-19th century, there were formal gardens north, west, and east of the Hall. They appear to have had regular pathways, and possibly terracing.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Associated People

Just one person associated to Onslow Hall

References

References