The Common now comprises a number of green spaces of differing characters. The largest, eastern triangular area has mature London plane and lime trees.
Stoke Newington Common, once known as Cockhanger Green, was the village green and used for grazing until the C19th. The common extended to Stoke Newington High Road but was gradually eroded from the early C18th, particularly to the west. Part was taken for the railway in the 1860s although land was provided in compensation; since then the Common has been divided in two by the railway cutting. In 1872 the Common, now c. 5.5 acres, was protected as open space following the Metropolitan Commons Act 1866, when local people successfully petitioned to save 180 acres of common land in the borough for public use.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Rectory Road. Bus: 106, 73, 67, 76, 149, 243, 243A.
- Mid 19th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust