Manor House, Leighton Bromswold 5977

Leighton Bromswold, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Manor House include prospect mounds, raised terrace walkways and ponds.

History

Manor House gardens were created in 1616 by Sir Gervaise Clifton. The house was demolished in the mid-18th century.

Detailed Description

An area 600 feet by 300 feet is enclosed on three sides by raised terrace walkways linked to two corner prospect mounds. Inside low depressions mark the sites of paths and traces of former shallow ponds exist in each corner.
Features
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Leighton
History

Detailed History

The archaeological remains of an extensive early-17th-century garden lie to the east of the church. These gardens were created in 1616 by Sir Gervaise Clifton who also built a house to go with them. The house was demolished in 1750, but its moated gatehouse still survives as the Manor House.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust