Brockwood Park (also known as Lys Farm, Brookwood Park)4974

Winchester, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The parkland at Brockwood Park dates originally from the late-18th century with significant phases of tree planting in the 19th and mid-20th centuries. Development in the latter period included the creation of more areas of garden interest including an Edwardian rose garden. Features include a walled garden, an arboretum and many mature parkland plantings.

History

Brockwood Park came into being from 1769 onwards when farmland was transformed into a landscape park with scenic views. Nineteenth-century planting included specimen cedars, beech avenues, and an arboretum featuring redwoods. During the mid-20th century the arboretum was developed and a rose garden and other garden areas laid out. Since 1969 the house and about 16 hectares of land have been owned by a school, which emphasizes ecological principles in the management of the grounds.

Detailed Description

Brockwood Park is on Hampshire County Council's Archaeology and Historic Buildings Register (site ID 1501) as a pre-1810 Park Garden.
Features
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Rose Garden
  • Description: In the mid-20th century, Lady Royden designed a new rose garden with a geometric layout of beds. The internal layout has changed several times since then.
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Walled productive garden managed on organic principles and growing vegetables, fruit and herbs.
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Cedars of Lebanon planted by the Earl of Malmesbury around 1800.
  • Grove
  • Description: An arboretum including many acid-loving plants such as rhododendrons and camellias, with a variety of native and exotic trees featuring mid-19th-century plantings of redwoods.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: Mid-19th-century avenue of beech trees leading to the Lodge, with late 20th-century replacements.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Pergola
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bramdean and
History

Detailed History

Richard Smith, a West India merchant, bought Lys Farm Bramdean in 1769 and began the process by which it was transformed into a gentleman's estate. He built the central part of the new house on a site that commanded fine scenic views towards the Meon valley.

In the next one hundred years successive owners planted trees, both native and exotic species, and gradually converted the meadowland into parkland. Colonel Greenwood and his family, in particular, created an arboretum and planted copper beeches along the estate boundaries. These are still a distinctive feature of the landscape. A ha-ha defined the boundary of the lawn within the park.

At its greatest extent at the end of the 19th century the estate is said to have covered 3200 acres (about 1295 hectares) and included the neighbouring Woodcote Manor.

In the mid-20th century the parkland underwent further change when Lady Royden lived there. Not only did she make improvements to park features, such as the arboretum, but she also created new areas of interest, principally a rose garden that she designed herself. In the arboretum, then known as The Fuzz or The Firs and now as The Grove, Lady Royden planted rhododendrons, flowering bulbs and exotic trees such as the handkerchief tree (Davidia involucrata). She kept a meticulous diary of her gardening activities, in particular itemising all her tree and shrub planting.

From about 1956 to 1968 the grounds underwent a period of neglect until the property was bought by the Krishnamurti Foundation, who set up a school there and renovated and simpified the gardens. Inevitably there have been some changes to the estate to accommodate school activities but the historic importance of the park landscape has not been neglected. The owners are conscious of their responsibilities in this respect and are concerned with the preservation and renewal of the park. They also know that their students benefit from studying in such a peaceful and beautiful environment. Principles of wildlife conservation and organic food production play a significant part in the current management of the estate.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

    References

    References

    Contributors

    • Hampshire Gardens Trust