Manor House, Offord Cluny 5940

Offord Cluny, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Manor House include a lawn, a gate, a walled kitchen garden, an orchard, a claire-voie and a shrubbery walk.

History

Manor House was created in the early-18th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The grounds to the east of the Manor House are named ‘The Lawn’ and the ‘Image Ground’. The first Ordnance Survey map of 1886 shows a park to the east of the House with a shrubbery walk to the south and a pond, with Manor Farm immediately to the south. The garden continues to the west of the High Street with trimmed hollies in an orchard beyond a claire-voie. The 1901 Ordnance Survey map indicates a new walled kitchen garden to the north of the house. The original garden wall has a gate flanked by brick piers with cornices and ball finials.
Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Clairvoie
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Offord Cluny
History

Detailed History

An early-18th century brick house sited on the east of the High Street, which was built for a member of the Deane family on the foundations of an earlier manor house. An 1806 plan of the parish shows the site owned by Thomas Sismey.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust