Blithfield Hall 450

Rugeley, England, Staffordshire, East Staffordshire

Brief Description

The hall is late-medieval in origin, with 16th and 18th century work and early-19th century alterations. The building was converted to apartments around 1980. The parkland is in good condition, with many mature trees. There is an avenue of cedars to the lodges, a church and water tower feature as eyecatchers. The kitchen garden is derelict. Although the site is not open to the public in the general sense, pre-booked group tours can be arranged.

Detailed Description

There was a geometric parterre to the north-west, which is now a simple oval of grass. The orangery to north was designed by James Stuart around 1760. Due to the similarity with the orangery at Ingestre, it has also been attributed to Samuel Wyatt.

The pleasure grounds are surrounded by a substantial ha-ha, finished with purple red bricks. To the north and east the plantings are extended to screen the view of a large reservoir created in the 1950s.

The parkland is in good condition, with many mature trees. There is an avenue of cedars to the lodges, a church and water tower feature as eyecatchers. The kitchen garden is derelict.

Features
  • Orangery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lake
  • Description: Reservoir.
Kitchen Garden, Ha-ha
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Blithfield
History

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
Associated People

Just one person associated to Blithfield Hall

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • The Bagot family

    Blithfield Hall, WS15 3NL
References

References