Chartley Hall 766

Stafford, England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

Chartley Hall is the moated site of a medieval manor house near to the remains of Chartley Castle. By 1777, the castle was in use as a summerhouse, prospect tower and observatory. Some walls remain and some earthworks.

Detailed Description

There is a moat to the west and north of the hall. To the west, grassed terraces run down to the moat, with the tennis court incorporated. One wall remains of the kitchen garden to the north-west of the pleasure grounds.

There are good copses, and the serpentine outlines of the plantations are very striking. The site is well treed to the north and south, being once a substantial estate with a deer park.

Features
Moat, Garden Terrace
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Stowe-by-Chartley
History

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References