Armitage Park (also known as Hawkesyard Priory, Spode House, Hawkesyard Hall)6988

Lichfield, England, Staffordshire, Lichfield

Brief Description

Garden features, although heavily overgrown, include the remains of a lily pond, fountain and sunken walks. Remarkable rockwork can also be found, including a cave which appears to have been cut out of solid rock. A summerhouse, built on the side of a hill west of Spode House, is listed grade II. The park is now mostly under a golf course.

History

The estate purchased by Nathaniel Lister in 1759 originally had a moated manor house, but Lister built a new house on the present site. This house passed through several owners, including the mother of Josiah Spode. It was greatly altered by her in 1839. It was bought by Dominican nuns in 1896 when the present priory was built. The description in the Gardeners Chronicle of 1890 states that the site included a fernery and American Garden, having an octagonal Azalea House, the centre and side stages of which were cut out of solid rock. The history of the park is not known, though drives, a fishpond and an ice house visible on the 1884 Ordnance Survey map still remain.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house, built in Gothic Revival style, is now a venue for weddings and conferences.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Description: Lily pond.
  • Walk
  • Description: Sunken walks
  • Rockwork
  • Description: Remarkable rockwork includes a cave which appears to have been cut out of solid rock.
  • Chapel
  • Description: The priory, which stands to the north of the hall.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Fountain, Summerhouse
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Armitage with
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Other websites

Owners

  • The Whorton family

References

Contributors

  • Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust