Bartlow Park 5602

Bartlow, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include garden terraces, an island, a walled kitchen garden and paths.

History

Bartlow Park was established in the mid-19th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The garden around the new house has been created by the present owners over the last 30 years with the help of John Codrington and incorporates the Victorian terraces and flights of steps that lead down towards the River Granta. There is an island in the river with plantings of acers which are used throughout the garden for autumn colour.

There are fine views towards the small park to the south-east. To the south of the river a path leads to the large walled kitchen garden, which still retains the central glasshouse and its basement boiler which is connected by a track in an underground tunnel for coke deliveries from a side driveway.

There is also a long peach house in the kitchen garden adjacent to water troughs. Within the south boundary of the park stands one Romano-British tumulus. The other 3 tumuli are nearby, to the south of the disused railway line.

Features
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Island
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tunnel
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Glasshouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bartlow
History

Detailed History

Bartlow Park is a neo-Georgian house designed by Claud Phillimore east of the site of a large Victorian house which burnt down in 1947.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)