Park House, Shudy Camps 5599

Shudy Camps, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include a ha-ha, a pond, lawns and an orangery.

History

Park House was established in the early-18th century.

Detailed Description

In June 1763 Richard Woods was asked to make improvements to the garden behind the house and to take in the first lane and lay it to lawn. It is possible that Woods was responsible for the small pond with perimeter planting, a length of ha-ha and another pond with an island in a belt of trees to the south of the house.

There is a balustraded terrace to the west of the house leading to a lawn edged by a ha-ha. The orangery to the north is now used as a swimming pool. The elevated position of the house allows extensive views over the park, grazing meadows and the countryside beyond.

Features
  • Orangery
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Island
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Pool
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Shudy Camps
History

Detailed History

Park House is a nine bay, red brick house built around 1702 for the Dayrell family standing in a large park.
Associated People

Just one person associated to Park House, Shudy Camps

References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust