Castle Farm, Castle Camps 5601

Castle Camps, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features include a walled garden and orchard.

History

The Castle Farm was established in the 11th century, but the gardens were created in the 15th century.

Detailed Description

A Buck engraving of 1730 shows a multi-gabled house with its 15th century brick tower and walled garden to the west. Thomas Sutton of the London Charterhouse lived here at the same date. Charterhouse became owners and built much of what is standing today.

The garden wall to the north is largely 16th or 17th century. In 1919, the sale particulars record the walled-in garden and small orchard. Today some fruit trees remain and there is evidence of an earlier terrace leading to a lower lawn with evergreen shrubs and topiary yews which leads to the garden gate giving access to the nearby church.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Topiary
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrub Feature
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Castle (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Castle Camps
History

Detailed History

This castle, the largest medieval fortress in the county, was built by Aubrey de Vere, Earl of Oxford, shortly after 1068. Nearby is the site of a motte and bailey with a deserted medieval village to the north.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust