Ashcombe Park, Cheddleton 4695

Cheddleton, England, Staffordshire, Staffordshire Moorlands

Brief Description

Ashcombe Park is an early-19th-century house with a park, lawns and walled garden. The stone park walls date from the mid-19th century.

History

Ashcombe Park is on land which was once a deer park associated with the 16th-century Botham Hall, which stood on the site in the 16th century. The present stone-faced brick house was built between 1807 and 1811, and the parkland, walled garden and lawns date largely from this period. Fishponds were added in the 1860s.

Detailed Description

The house, built for William Sneyd between 1807 and 1811 by James Trubshaw Junior, is of stone-faced brick. It incorporates a Tuscan porte cochere (porch) reputedly moved from Belmont, another Sneyd house, with 19th-century additions.

The gates and piers are in good condition, and there is a stone-paved terrace with a stone-faced 19th-century conservatory. Steps lead down to a lawn, which is distinguished by a central, stone-kerbed fountain pond. The lawn is edged with shrub borders and perimeter walks, and anice house planted up as rock garden is of particular note. A sequence of fish ponds south of house reputedly dates back to the 1860s, and there is also a substantial walled garden (contemporary with the house), incoporating a large, stone-lined well.

The parkland, surrounded by a stone wall, is believed to date back to 1807, although some of the mature trees may predate this, and it is known that the area was used as a deerpark in the earlier post-medieval period.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Piers
  • Description: The gates and piers are in good condition.
  • Terrace
  • Description: There is a stone-paved terrace.
  • Conservatory
  • Description: There is a stone-faced 19th-century conservatory.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Description: On the lawn is a a central, stone-kerbed fountain pond.
  • Wall
  • Description: The parkland is surrounded by a stone wall.
Ornamental Fountain, Lawn, Icehouse, Gate
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Cheddleton
History

Detailed History

The current building (known as Ashcombe Park House) overlies Botham Hall, a 16th-century manor house. The estate changed hands in the late-18th century, and by 1811, its new owners, the Sneyds, had built the present house, and presumably invested considerable time into the redesign of the gardens and parkland. Though the original estate incorporated a deer park, there have been no deer in the park since 1945.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Ashcombe Park, Cheddleton

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References