Willey Hall 6804

Willey, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Willey Hall had a landscape park featuring ponds and wooded areas.

History

The landscape park around Willey Hall was developed in the years after 1811, by its owner, Cecil Weld-Forester. This new house, which lay a half mile west of the Old Hall, was constructed between 1812 and 1820. Later in the 19th century the park was reduced in size to 150 acres. This may have occurred in 1865, when William Andrews Nesfield apparently initiated but did not complete a major redesign of the park.

Detailed Description

The new hall and park at Willey were established between 1811 and 1820 by Lewis Wyatt for Cecil Weld-Forester. In 1815, a conservatory was attached to the house. A 270-acre park was created around the Hall, and as part of the design four local roads were closed. In addition, the Slaney almshouses and a clergyman's house were demolished, and the almshouses were replaced with new buildings in Barrow village, which lay out of sight of the hall. The hamlet of Hangstree Gate was also depopulated. John Cox, Forester's tenant at Willey Farm, complained of the expense of the imparkment. As a result, he was forced to take down fences, fill in ditches, and put down arable to grass.

The principal feature of the park were the three large ponds which the hall overlooked, and the wooded slopes of Shirlett forest lay beyond. In 1865, plans were produced by William Andrews Nesfield to redesign the grounds, but it appears that they were not implemented. He had suggested elaborate formal gardens around three sides of the house, as well as a complex parterre in front of hte conservatory, and a terraced walk above Willey Pools. Although the garden designs were not carried out, the plans may have resulted in a reduction of the park's acreage. By the late-19th century, the park had been reduced in size to 150 acres.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Willey Hall was built to replace the earlier Old Hall, which lay half a mile to the west. The entrance side of the hall is nine bays wide and two storeys high, and features a giant portico of four Corinthian columns carrying a pediment. The internal processional spaces of entrance hall, main hall, and staircase are some of the finest and most ingenious in the country.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Description: Three large ponds, which were overlooked by the hall, were the primary feature of the landscape park.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Conservatory
  • Description: A conservatory was added to the house in 1815, lying at the back of the centre of the ground floor. It is of five bays, and features slim pilasters and glazing.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Barrow
Associated People
References

References