Willey Park 6802

Willey, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Willey park, comprising the northern part of Willey parish, was in existence by the late 13th century. In 1618, the park was around 430 acres in extent, and had a central enclosure with lodge and fishponds. The northern two-thirds of the park were wooded, and the southern third was pasture. By the early-18th century the'Broad Walk' had been created, linking Willey Hall, about a mile to the south, with the lodge.

History

Willey park was in existence by 1291, and was enlarged in 1537. In 1618 the park was mapped, and may have been restocked and otherwise improved around 1630. By 1707 there was a 'Broad Walk' linking Willey Hall with the lodge in the park.

In 1757 the south-east part of the park was let to the New Willey Co. for iron-making. The remainder of the park was enclosed soon after.

Features
  • Walk
  • Description: By 1707, the 'Broad Walk' had been created. It ran from the south, linking Willey Hall with the lodge in the park.
  • Latest Date:
  • Hunting Lodge
  • Description: In 1618, the central enclosure featured a lodge and fishponds.
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Description: In 1618, the central enclosure featured a lodge and fishponds.
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Barrow
References

References