Whitley Hall 6596

Wigan, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Pgds 20140716 140339 Photo

Brief Description

Whitley Hall had a house with grounds and a small park to the west of Wigan Lane. It was a rectangular site with boundary planting along the road and on the southern edge. A particular feature at the south-west corner was a large lake. There were similar though smaller properties to the south. Whitley Park Cottages developed within the park by the end of the 19th century. The lake is now Whitley Reservoir. The site is now lost, and the area has been completely developed. The reservoir survives.

Features
  • Lake
  • Description: The lake is now Whitley Reservoir.
History

Detailed History

Whitley Hall sat within a 24 acre garden which included a large garden pond which still survives as Whitley Reservoir. The estate was purchased in 1775 by Holt Leigh, the son of Alaxander Leigh who had purchased Hindley Hall and Park in 1721. Whitley, also known as White Leigh, was much improved by Holt Leigh and he eventually changed its name to Leigh Place. This was the home in which he would bring up his family with his wife Mary (nee Owen) who was the co-heiress of Bispham Hall. The eldest son, Robert Holt Leigh, later Baron Whitley of Wigan must have been granted the estate before Holt Leigh's death as it is not mentioned in his will. Sir Robert Holt Leigh lived here with his siblings until he had rebuilt Hindley Hall about 1811. His younger sister, Johannah was still living at Whitley Hall in 1835.

The estate is now home for many private dwellings.

References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit

  • Mike Topping