Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Wrinehill Hall


The site is now farmed, and only part of the moat remains.


The original house stood on a moated site mentioned in the 1540s. The house was rebuilt in the early-17th century. It is shown on a 1725 drawing as a two storey E-shaped house which looked out over a courtyard with four grass plots. It was probably demolished in the 1730s and certainly by 1754.

As shown in 1754 (when perhaps it was already much reduced in size) the garden comprised a walled area with two iron gates enclosing eight grass plots. The plots were bordered with shrubs and with a long water feature on the south side. Two shorter pools were at the east end, beyond which lay an open area which may have been a bowling green. There was also a rectangular pool to the north at the corner of the orchard. A stream bounded the orchard on the north and ran along the east side of the gardens.

There may have been a park as early as 1300 and what in 1754 was called the Old Park lay near the house to the south of the formal gardens. A much larger partly wooded area on rising ground to the east was then called the Great Park and it had a lodge on a high point in the centre. In 1851, William White wrote ‘ Wrinehill Hall, formerly the seat of the Egertons, is now a farm house, on the west side of the parish, adjoining to Cheshire'.


Tudor (1485-1603)

Features & Designations


  • Moat
Key Information




Agriculture And Subsistence

Principal Building

Agriculture And Subsistence


Tudor (1485-1603)


Part: standing remains

Civil Parish




  • Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust