Bellaport Old Hall 4607

Norton in Hales, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Bellaport Old Hall stands within a square medieval moat. The hall is partly demolished.

History

Bellaport Old Hall stands within a medieval moat. Between the late-16th and early-17th centuries the hall was remodelled. A formal garden was laid out within the moat.

The hall was partly demolished during the early-19th century. Between 1927 and 1928 it was occupied as a farmhouse.

Features
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: A 274.3 metre (300 yard) long avenue south west of the hall. It is shown of John Rocque's map of Shropshire dating back to 1752.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Norton in Hales
History

Detailed History

Bellaport Old Hall was the home of the Grosvenor family and from 1634 the Cotton family. The hall stands within a square medieval moat. During the late-16th and early-17th centuries the hall was remodelled. By this time it occupied the full width of the site. The building was partly demolished in the early-19th century. In 1927 to 1928 the surviving part of the hall was occupied as a farmhouse.

A formal garden was laid out during the late-16th and early-17th centuries. It lay within the moat and in front of the hall. Half the area was given over to a simple parterre. John Rocque's map of Shropshire dating to 1752 reveals that the hall was approached from the south west by a 274.3 metre (300 yard) long avenue.