Woodlands, Bridgnorth 6760

Bridgnorth, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

The parkland associated with this house seems to have lost its woodland over the last 100 years.

History

The hall and park probably date from the 19th century, though the exact dates of their construction are unclear.

Access & Directions

Directions

The Woodlands is sited two miles south of the town of Bridgnorth.

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bridgnorth
History

Detailed History

In the mid-19th century the Woodlands was the property of T.W. Wylde Browne. The hall is first recorded in 1808, although it is not until 1826-7 that it is located within a defined area of parkland. Evidence for the hall at the end of the 19th century suggests that its grounds extended mainly northwards - probably as kitchen gardens - and westwards.

The hall lies in the south-east of the park, which in 1826-7 occupied an area lying to the east of a large tract of woodland. At that time a lodge beyond the park to the north-east lay on the Deuxhill road. From there a drive curved east-south-east towards the hall.

While in 1851 the park was described as well-timbered, by 1882 very little woodland is apparent, although the park itself had been extended by that date and the boundaries defined in the north-east, east and south-east by the roads. The main drive, possibly on a more southerly route than in 1826-27, ran to the north-west of the Hall. Two further shorter drives also ran from the lodge towards the north-east boundary.

References

References