Upton Cressett 6724

Bridgnorth, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Upton Cressett Hall dates from the 16th century, and a deer park is known on the site from around this date, but it seems to have disappeared with enclosure in the late-17th or early-18th century.

Features
  • Gatehouse
  • Description: 16th-century, brick-built.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: 16th-century, brick-built.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Upton Cressett
History

Detailed History

Upton Cressett Hall and its gatehouse, both of the mid- to late-16th century, are among the county's earliest and best brick buildings. In the 1980s, the owner, Bill Cash M.P., began to recreate a small garden in the late medieval style outside the gatehouse.

By 1517 there was a park at Upton Cressett, Thomas Cressett being accused in that year of having imparked 40 acres of arable land. Saxton's map of 1577 shows the hall/church complex as outside the park, whereas in 1611, Speed indicates they lay within. The last cartographic record of its existence dates to 1695, and it was probably enclosed soon after. Today, curving field boundaries, and Upton Lodge and Upton Park, indicate at least its southern extent and boundaries.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
References

References