Wimbledon Common is managed by Wimbledon and Putney Common Conservators. The Common has changed little although woodland is now extensive on the west and north, Shadwell Wood in the south reduced by 1 or the 2 golf courses here, formed in 1908.
The earliest history of the commons dates back to the Palaeolithic Age. In 1864 the lord of the manor, Earl Spencer, proposed enclosing 700 acres to form a park for a new mansion near the windmill and selling 300 acres for building. He was prevented by the Select Committee enquiry of 1865 that led to the Metropolitan Commons Act 1866. Eventually an Act of Parliament in 1871 secured the future of Wimbledon Common, entrusting it to a Board of Conservators with annual compensation paid to Earl Spencer.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Wimbledon (District) then bus. Bus: 93, 265.
London Parks and Gardens Trust