Formal gardens were laid out in front of the main school building, exotic trees and shrubs were planted in the grounds and Boggy Field became a kitchen garden. The gardens were opened to the public once a week and much admired.
Wimbledon School was founded as an Anglican Military Academy in 1860 by Revd John Brackenbury who purchased Tree and Boggy Fields on the crest of Edge Hill. The school closed in 1884 and put up for sale in 1892. Part of the site, comprising the old buildings and land below them were purchased by the Jesuits who opened Wimbledon College as a boys' school here in 1893.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail/Tube: Wimbledon (district) then bus
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust