To the north-west of Deepdale lies a serpentine lake that was part of the 18th-century landscape designed by 'Capability' Brown for Earl Spencer of Wimbledon House, where he worked in 1767 and 1768. The major part of his landscape has been covered by housing developments of the 19th- and 20th centuries and what remains of the lake is now within the grounds of the Buddhapadipa Temple, a Thai style Buddhist monastery, which include the ornamental lake, small grove of trees, flower garden and orchard.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is only open occasionally. Please check the website.
Detailed DescriptionThis represents a remnant of one of the old estates lying between Wimbledon Common Parkside and Wimbledon Village, retaining much mature woodland and shrubbery, large pond and grassland that is the Buddhapadipa Temple and monastery setting now. Old maps show the northern fork of Wimbledon Park Brook originating in this area and a series of large ponds developed in the grounds of Alberton Grange, later Atherton Grange, in the mid C19th. The largest of these ponds was in the area of the present-day Parkside Avenue, Margin Drive and Deepdale, and the present pond in the Temple Grounds is a northern remnant of these. The small wood is a survival of more extensive planting that is shown on late C19th maps. The house on the present site was not built until the early C20th. The Shrine Hall of the monastery was built in 1979 and inaugurated on 31 October 1982 by Her Royal Highness Princess Kalyani Vaddhana, a sister of the King of Thailand; it was designed by Thai architect Praves Limparangsri. The Temple was built in 1980. The Temple Grounds are open to the public at festival times, Soangkran in April, and Loy-kratong in November.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is only open occasionally. Please check the website.
DirectionsThe park can be accessed from the Wimbledon Park Road.
- 18th Century
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust