Now closed to burials apart from those in existing family plots, the churchyard has a Garden of Remembrance for cremated ashes. Near the entrance to the church is a stuccoed early-19th-century lodge with seated stag that formerly belonged to Wimbledon Park House. Adjacent to the churchyard to the west is Church Field, which was purchased by the church in 1956.
The medieval parish church of St Mary Wimbledon has been rebuilt several times over the years, and the earliest record of a church here is in the Domesday Book of 1086. The churchyard is on sloping ground and was extended in 1862 when an adjacent tithe barn was dismantled. The enclosing wall dates from the 18th century or earlier, and the tombs date from the early-18th century and include several large monuments such as that of Gerard de Visme (d.1797), a Portland stone pyramid, and those of the Marryat and Spencer families.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Wimbledon (District) then bus. Bus: 93 (walk)
Official WebsiteClick Here
Diocese of Southwark
London Parks and Gardens Trust