The site was laid out as an ornamental garden, with flower beds, trees, seats and a shelter, which remains in place today. A drinking fountain was erected by Charles Clements Walker JP in memory of his mother Agnes Walker who had lived in the parish.
Wilmington Square was built in the 1820s on 16 acres of the Spa Fields Estate owned by the Spencer Compton family, Earls and later Marquesses of Northampton, who had long held land in the area. In 1886 Lord Compton, later 5th Marquess of Northampton, presented the central garden enclosure to the Finsbury Vestry for public use, which the MPGA offered to maintain for the benefit of the poor.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Farringdon. Tube: Angel (Northern), Farringdon (Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Circle). Bus: 19, 38, 341
London Parks and Gardens Trust