The site was levelled after damage in World War 2, and Bevin Court was built by 1954, a Y-shaped block of flats set in landscaped areas. Now called Holford Gardens, the public gardens overlooked by the housing consists of lawn with rose beds, perimeter path and trees.
Holford Gardens is on the site of the last square to be built in Clerkenwell. Holford Square was part of the New River Estate, laid out as an ornamental garden square. Among its residents was Vladimir Lenin, who lived at No. 30 in 1902/3. In 1934 the railed garden had a public bowling green and in WWII it was used as a balloon site, but much of the square was destroyed by a landmine in 1941.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Angel (Northern), King's Cross (Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria, Hammersmith & City, Circle, Metropolitan). Rail: King's Cross. Bus: 30, 73, 205, 214, 476.