The garden has notable London plane trees and is enclosed by C19th railings and piers. In 1987 part of the medieval cloisters from the former C12th nunnery were excavated in the churchyard garden.
St James Clerkenwell Church Garden is on the site of the former C12th St Mary’s Nunnery run by Augustinian canonesses. When the Nunnery was dissolved in 1539 its church was converted into the Clerkenwell parish church of St James. The old church was rebuilt in 1625, later replaced by the current building in 1788-92. The steeple was rebuilt in 1849 and the church was later restored in 1882. Among those buried here are many of the 200 Islington Protestants martyred at Smithfield in the Reformation in the 1550s. The churchyard was laid out and opened as a public garden in 1890.
Visitor FacilitiesThe garden is open from 8am - dusk. Church Open Mon-Fri 12-2pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe garden is open from 8am - dusk. Church Open Mon-Fri 12-2pm.
DirectionsTube: Farringdon (Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Circle). Rail: Farringdon. Bus: 19, 38, 55, 153, 243
London Parks and Gardens Trust