Features of Spa Fields Gardens include a ball court and a children's playground.
Once open fields whose hollows were filled with springs and ponds, the area became known as Spa Fields, a place of recreation and entertainment until the 1770s. The land was then purchased by the Countess of Huntingdon who built a Nonconformist Chapel here, now the site of the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer, with adjacent burial ground. This closed in 1853, following which it was gravelled over and used partly as drill ground and partly as playground until 1886 when it was converted to a public garden, becoming the responsibility of the LCC.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Farringdon. Tube: Farringdon (Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City, Circle), Angel (Northern). Bus: 19, 38, 341
London Parks and Gardens Trust