Whiddon Park 6015

Exeter, England, Devon, West Devon

Brief Description

Whiddon Park is a substantial remnant of the large manor house of the Whiddons. The site was probably a medieval deer park and the walls may be medieval as well.

History

White (1850) noted 'the ancient mansion and woody park of 300 acres'. Stockdale described it as a 'mansion built in the Elizabethan style'.

Detailed Description

The deer park is at the entrance to the Teign gorge. The site was probably a medieval deer park and the walls may be medieval as well. They are made of granite rubble but carefully built using large pieces of granite. The wall is intact and stands up to three metres high in places. It has a flat top projecting very slightly. There is a ditch on the inside of the wall. The wall encloses the park which originally belonged to Whiddon park House and there is a gateway through it to a drive from the house.
Features
  • Boundary Wall
  • Description: The deer park walls may date from the medieval period. They are made of granite rubble but carefully built using large pieces of granite. The wall is intact and stands up to three metres high in places. It has a flat top projecting very slightly. There is a ditch on the inside of the wall. The wall encloses the park which originally belonged to Whiddon park House and there is a gateway through it to a drive from the house.
  • Ditch
  • Description: There is a ditch on the inside of the park wall.
  • Pond
  • Description: The old mill pond (now dry, since the 1950s) that served the water wheel nearby. No reference to the mill itself has been found.
Stable Block
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Chagford
History

Detailed History

Whiddon Park is a substantial remnant of the large manor house of the Whiddons. The estate was bought by the Drew family of Castle Drogo. White (1850) noted ‘the ancient mansion and woody park of 300 acres'. Stockdale described it as a ‘mansion built in the Elizabethan style and the surrounding scenery of the Park and Wood bounded by the Teign is remarkably beautiful. The Park is in extent nearly 300 acres'.

Period

  • Medieval
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References

Contributors

  • Devon Gardens Trust

  • D.D. and S. Hill

    1