Bovey Castle is a lavish neo-Elizabethan mansion built in 1906-7 by Delmar Blow for WFD Smith, later the second Viscount Hambledon. The house is comparable to Castle Drogo in scale, but without the sparkle of Lutyens. It was extended in the 1930s. There is a restrained garden front magnificently set above terraces overlooking the lake and river. The site is now an hotel.
The mansion was built in 1906-7 by Delmar Blow for WFD Smith, later the second Viscount Hambledon.
Visitor FacilitiesThis is now a hotel, please visit the website for information about access.
- Mansion House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis is now a hotel, please visit the website for information about access.
DirectionsThe site is off junction 31 of the M5, following the A30 and the A382.
- North Bovey
- Early 20th Century
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Bovey Castle