Facilities at Westerley Ware include a playground, memorial garden and tennis courts.
Westerley Ware is former meadowland that was part of Kew Commonable Lands, whereby since 1824 inhabitants of Kew were granted common rights of pasture. Administration was overseen by a Kew Commonable Rights Committee elected annually by Kew Vestry, the freehold remaining with the Crown. Kew War Memorial Recreation Ground was laid out here after WWI and had tennis courts, netball court, children's playground, lawns and flower gardens. By March 1939 the Committee could no longer afford to maintain it and applied to Richmond Corporation to take over its control and management, which was approved by the Commissioner of Crown lands in September. The name Westerley Ware comes from netting weirs or 'wares' used to catch fish.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from Mon - Sat: 7.30am - dusk/Sun & Bank Hols: 9am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from Mon - Sat: 7.30am - dusk/Sun & Bank Hols: 9am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Kew Bridge. Bus: 65, 237, 267, 391.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust