Criss-crossed by paths, the Green is bordered by fine mature trees and is surrounded by historic buildings.
Richmond Green has been an important open space since medieval times when jousting tournaments and pageants took place, although as commonland it was used for grazing sheep. From the C14th the Lord of the Manor was the King and the Green was overlooked by Richmond Palace, then called Sheen Palace, occupied by monarchs until the late C17th. The royal connection led to the early growth of Richmond, which continued to develop as a fashionable town, and a popular place for excursions in the C19th. In 1899 Richmond Theatre was built on Little Green, an extension of the main green to the east.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/London Overground/Tube (District): Richmond. Bus: 190, 33, 337, 371, 371, 391, 419, 485, 490, 65, H22, H37, R68, R70
London Parks and Gardens Trust