The formal garden has a monument to local landowner John Dudin Brown, a freeman of the Company of Watermen, whose donation of 2 acres of land and 50 guineas led to the foundation.
Formerly ornate gardens for the Royal Free Watermen and Lightermen's Almshouses, founded in 1839 for retired Watermen and their wives and widows. The almshouses opened in 1841 and remained in Penge until 1973 when the residents moved to Hastings. The property was acquired by the GLC and then sold for conversion into private housing. Part of the grounds remain in private ownership while the area to the south is now public gardens.
Visitor FacilitiesThe public garden is open 7.30am weekdays/9am Sat/Sun/BHs - half hour after dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe public garden is open 7.30am weekdays/9am Sat/Sun/BHs - half hour after dusk.
DirectionsRail: Penge East, Kent House. London Overground: Penge West. Bus 194, 227, 352, 358. Tram in Beckenham Road
- Mid 19th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust