A pond in the south-east corner of the original park pre-dated the park but was eventually filled in, becoming the site of a bandstand. The park was a popular venue for cricket, with Penge Cricket Club playing here.
Alexandra Recreation Ground was laid out by the local council in the late 1880s and opened in around 1891. It is named after Alexandra, wife of the future King Edward VII, who is also commemorated in Alexandra Road that borders the park in the south-east. The original area of the park was what is now north of Maitland Road, the southern part added in the early-20th century.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Penge East. London Overground: Sydenham. Bus: 351