The workhouse garden was originally used for growing fruit and vegetables, and later became a display area for the Museum. Following a restoration programme it has been recreated in the style of an C18th workhouse kitchen garden.
Vestry House was built in 1730 to provide a workhouse and rooms for Vestry meetings. The site together with the small area of green in front is a remnant of Church Common. The workhouse expanded over the years but after 1840 Walthamstow paupers were moved to the new Union Workhouse and Vestry House was used by a number of other bodies. The oldest part became headquarters of the Walthamstow Literary and Scientific Institute, and then a private house. After its acquisition by Walthamstow Borough Council it opened in 1931 as a Museum of Local History and Antiquities. The garden originally stretched as far as Church Path but cottages were built on part of it in 1840 and the railway further encroached in the 1860s, although a piece of land was added in compensation for this.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open Wed-Sun 10am-5pm. Pre-booked groups and school visits welcome on Tuesdays (020 8496 4381).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open Wed-Sun 10am-5pm. Pre-booked groups and school visits welcome on Tuesdays (020 8496 4381).
DirectionsTube: Walthamstow Central (Victoria). Rail: Walthamstow Central. Bus: W12
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust