The churchyard contains numerous interesting graves and four listed tombs, and is divided into four railed and enclosed areas with public access to only two; it is bisected by paths which are in frequent public use. There are some 1300 visible monuments in and around the church, and it is thought that over 26,000 burials took place here.
The first church of St Mary Walthamstow was founded in the early-12th century on the site of an older church. The current building is largely 16th-century with later alterations. The timber-framed Ancient House near the church probably stands on the site of the original Manor of Walthamstow.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open to the public. Part is unrestricted, part is inaccessible.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open to the public. Part is unrestricted, part is inaccessible.
DirectionsTube: Walthamstow Central (Victoria). Rail: Walthamstow Central. Bus: W12
- Tudor (1485-1603)
Church of England
London Parks and Gardens Trust